One in every three university students is unhappy about the course choices that they have picked. That’s like almost half a million unhappy University students! That’s an alarming statistic especially when placed with the increasing uncertainty of jobs and diversifying career choices
Career Counselling: A Mainstay in Education
Career Counselling is the art of guiding students to their best-fit careers and colleges while keeping in mind their aptitude, interest and caliber. This statement sounds extremely simple but trusts us, the process is a bit more complicated.
Career Counselling is the need of the hour and should be provided on a periodic basis for students from Grade 8 onwards.
Let us understand the journey of a real-life student from Grade 8 to Grade 12 to understand the role that career counselling played in her life.
Punya, a student from a leading school In North India was having doubts about which career to pursue from as early as Grade 8. She was a consistent performer in academics and had scored a CGPA of 10 in her Grade 10 Board exams.
Let us understand her journey from Grade 8 onwards and identify the challenges she faced and how she was guided by a responsible career counsellor, Ms. Manmeet Kaur in the right direction.
Question: Which activities should I be involved in?
Punya was a budding quizzer and dancer but was confused if her extracurricular and co-curricular choices would help in making her profile stand out.
Her career counsellor, Ms Manmeet guided her to a range of activities which she could take, some of which were:
- Academic Honors: National Talent Search Examination, Rotary Youth Exchange
- Co-Curricular activities: The Youth Leader Competition, The Life Skills and Leadership Program
- Extracurricular activities: The Green Olympiad, State level Dance Championships
So with effective intervention, Punya was guided towards making a more diverse profile which highlighted her interests outside of academics.
Question: What is the best career option for me?
Punya was a merit student but the puzzling question that was on her mind was which career option would be the best fit for her.
- Despite the efforts from her family to analyze various career options, the process didn’t bear fruit.
- Expert guidance: They understood they need an expert who can guide Punya at her career crossroads.
Ms. Manmeet conducted monthly counselling sessions with Punya to know:
- Which subjects she was interested in,
- What her parent’s expectations from her were like
- Which programs should she be a part of to build her profile early on
to become a Global Career Counsellor
Question: Do my personality and interests match with my career choice?
Punya’s counsellor wanted to give her the much-needed clarity in terms of which courses would suit her. To assist her in making the right decision, Ms Manmeet sought a Psychometric Test for Punya.
Based on the test undertaken, she was given the requisite counselling sessions to help her identify:
- Best Fit Career: Engineering appeared as the best-fit career choice for her.
- Extensive Research: She explored the relevant information on various traditional and emerging branches of engineering and decided to pursue Computer Science.
Question: Which Course, Country and Entrance Exams should i opt for?
Based on the Psychometric assessments which she was checked on, Ms. Manmeet helped Punya in making the right decisions in Grade 11, as follows:
- Subject choice: Non-medical with Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Computer Science with English as the first language.
- Country of Choice: Punya was keen to study abroad. Univariety helped her shortlist USA and Australia as study destinations. A range of factors was taken into account while deciding on the country which included;
- Budget preferences,
- Parental considerations,
- University compatibility & rankings and
- Future goals.
- Entrance Test Guidance: Punya was guided for standardized tests such as SAT/ACT, IELTS, TOEFL, among others.
Question: How should I apply and can I get a scholarship?
Ms. Manmeet helped Punya in shortlisting 12 universities and guided her at every step of the application process.
- Categorization of colleges: The colleges were shortlisted in 3 broad categories-.Aspiration, Best Fit and Safe List of colleges.
- Scholarship guidance: Punya received a scholarship of $68,000 from DePaul University, USA.
Additional offers: She also got offers from 9 Universities she applied to.
Result: Punya enrolled at the University of New South Wales, Australia for a degree in Computer Science
With the help of this example, the crucial role that a career counsellor plays in the life of a student.
Praise for the Counsellor
Ms Manmeet is a certified Global Career Counsellor from UCLA Extension and Univariety. Sh has been guiding thousands of school and college students to their best-fit careers.